Who is the medical expert?
The medical expert or expert doctor is a doctor, authorized by ministerial order, to use the professional title of specialist in insurance medicine and medical expertise, having followed a specific training and acquired a singular experience in the regular practice of the medico legal evaluation of the following elements:
- health damage
- physical and psychological damage
- bodily injuries and other deficiencies, as well as their causes and the various damages resulting from them
In Belgium, the doctor who has the title of specialist in insurance medicine and medical expertise is considered and qualified as an medical expert; but only the doctor appointed by the Courts in order to carry out a medical expertise, and listed in the national register of judicial experts of the FPS Justice, is authorized to use the title of judicial expert.
For whom does the medical expert work?
The expert doctor or medical expert exercises his profession by providing services, as a medical advisor, for his clients and principals who are :
- victims and patients, in the case of a medical expert
- the courts, in the case of the judicial expert
- insurance companies, in the case of the insurance consultant
- social institutions, in the case of their own medical advisor (mutual insurance companies, RIZIV, FPS Social Security, Fedris,...)
- European and international institutions, in the case of their own medical advisor
The medical expert does not treat, he advises and defends the interests, on the medico-legal level, of his clients and responds to the missions that his principals entrust to him, in particular by carrying out medical evaluations and expert reports.
What is a medical expertise ?
A medical expertise is the ensemble of work, ensured by one or a series of medical experts, that aims to evaluate the damage onto a victim’s…
What is a medical counter expertise?
Contestation of the prejudices evaluated by the insurance.